donderdag 9 mei 2013

A Backpack With A Message

I love embellishing articles with beads, ribbons, ornaments and findings. The more the better. I love victorian crazy patchwork. In my opinion less is not always more.

In the past I have decorated a few bags in this manner.



Here you can see the ones I made for myself . I hang them on a mugholder behind a door in our utility room where they hang out of sight and out of the sun.

Recently I have been horrified bij de reports about the enormous gyres with plastic waste in our oceans. I wanted to play a very small part in stopping it getting worse.

Then I had an idea of how to bring this disaster to peoples attention without saying a word... I am quite a shy person and not someone who takes to the streets carrying a big banner.

I made a backpak which said all I wanted to.



I "decorated" it with pieces of plastic I had picked up off the streets and pictures off the internet.
To waterproof the pictures I stuck stickybackplastic on the front and back of the illustrations leaving a small rim all the way round when I cut them out so that I use that when sewing them on with nylon thread.
The labels with sculls on them I made with pieces of yellow card on which I drew the scull and crossed bones after which I stuk the same adhesive plastic on as I did on the illustrations.
Stop Zwerfvuil means Stop Litter in Dutch.
Plastics are the worst because the don´t rot and stay in our enviroment for hundreds of years.


Please take 6 minutes and 52 seconds to watch this youtube film to see what I´m talking about 

Thankyou

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten