zondag 3 maart 2013

Decorating With Beads

I love embellishing things. Bags, jackets, clothes, shoes you name it, I have probably embellished it at some time or other.
One of my favorite methods is with glass beads. Once attached properly they can handle a knock or two and survive a spin in the washingmachine unlike delicate embroidery.
Instead of sewing them on one by one I have discovered that it is much faster and neater to first make a shape or chain en then sew them on the article you want. And when you want to get rid of it, just cut the beads off and save them for another project!
I have made a sequence of photo's using large beads to show you how I make a chain. I string them onto thin nylon thread or thin metal wire if I want to bend  it into a shape afterwards before attaching it to the article. I use nylon for things that have to be washed often as I don't know if the metal wire will rust over time or not.


etc. etc. till you get the required length.

Here is an  example of what you can do with it.


I made the heart in this way. I'm sorry about the rubbishy photo but you get the idea.
As well as a long string for edging or swirls you can make oval or more round shapes which you can use as flower petals, leaves or insect wings.



And so on... you can change the shape by adding or using less beads. The more you use the same amount the longer the shape becomes.

Here are some examples of what you can make with these.




And the finished result...


It looks like a lot of work but is finished before you know it!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten