donderdag 7 februari 2013

Use Up Your Old Wallpaper

I am a bit of a hoarder. It hasn't got to the stage that you can't see the floor in my house anymore or I have piles of stuff which reach the ceiling but I do have a problem throwing things away. I just never know what I will be able to use in the future. As a result I had a big box of partial rolls of old wallpaper, some dating back to the '70's in one of my closets.
The wallpaper in my utility room was sunbleached and a bit tatty and needed replacing but I was put off by the idea that I would have to remove the cupboards from the wall and remove the heavy cupboards and washingmachine standing against it. My husband said "why don't you just paper around them?" At first I laughed en then I thought "why not?" and that's when I got the idea of using the short bits of wallpaper I had in the box in my cupboard. I could make a patchwork wall!
The old wallpaper on the wall was vinyl and as I was afraid the bits of paper I wanted to put over it wouldn't stick properly, I carefully removed the toplayer leaving a thin underlayer of paper on the wall.
Then I used my square quiltingruler to cut lots of squares EXACTLY the same size. This part is crucial! I did choose wallpaper similar in style and colour so I didn't get a mismatch. But you could use any paper you wanted for a more spectaculair effect if you so wished.
While sticking the pieces on I regularly used a spirit level to make sure I was going straight and I let the pieces fall behind the cupboards and washingmachine were possible so the patchwork paper didn't end abruptly and you couldn't see that I had cut corners ( excuse the pun ;-))
I was very pleased with the result. I only did one wall with the patchwork, painted two others white and papered the forth with a complete roll I also had. In the end it only cost me time because I already had everything.


I also had longer pieces which I used on the walls of my stairway.


This whole excercise has been a trip down memory lane for me. I kept thinking,"we had this pattern in the hall and this one in the bedroom"etc. AND I got rid of some of the wallpaper. I still have plenty more. I shall have to have a good think about what else I could do with it.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten