woensdag 23 januari 2013

Hanging Window Decorations

In the village I live in we have a lot of tourists and some of them think it's a kind of open air museum and don't hesitate to press their noses against the windowpanes to look inside our houses.
I have tried different things to detere this except full length curtains which I dislike. First I tried potted plants but they grew through the holes in my croched curtains which made cleaning the windows a time consuming event.
Then I had an idea... I love stained glass windows and thought I could make mock stained glass window hangings
This is what they turned out like...




I made them using sheets of perspex which I had made to size, self adhesive plastic used to block the view through windows, permanent glasspaint en self adhesive lead strip bought on a roll.


As I said ealier I live in Europe but I'm certain these things are available in your area perhaps under a different name. Except perhaps if you live in the middle of the Amazon jungle, Sarahan desert or arctic circle.

I started by drilling holes in the corners of the perspex so that I could hang them when they were finished. Then I drew the design I wanted to use on the back of a piece of wallpaper and placed the perspex on top of it. By doing this you can see where you have to place everything. What you do next depends on what you are going to use. If you want to use the selfadhesive plastic you start by sticking that on in the position you want. This sounds easier than it is... If you only want to use paint paint the areas you want painted.I used "medium" to make the paint thinner and more translucent. Don't use your best watercolour brushes because this paint will ruin them.
I left some areas bare but feel free to do what you want. Lastly I stuck on the lead tape to divide the areas.
I used 3 squares, one for each window but you could place a several next or under each other and connect them with chains. You could also paint them in solid colours or mix colours together on the perspex. The possibilities are endless!
Lastely I attached chains and hooks to them and hung them on my curtainrod but you could also screw hooks into your windowframe.

I was very pleased with them when they were finished although they didn't bring the result I wanted. The tourists now stop to admire them!

I also made one for the window next to my backdoor. For this one I used selfadhesive plastic and releif paint which comes in a tube.




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten