donderdag 31 januari 2013

Wreath Made Of Honesty/Silver Dollars

A few years ago I had a lot of honesty/silver dollars in my garden. I didn't just want to pull them out and throw them away and ponderd a while on what I could do with them.
Then I had the idea of making a wreath with them! I want to warn you in advance, this is a project for people with a lot of stammina and is very very time consuming!
This is what the end result looks like


When I started, the seedpods didn't look all nice and shiny like they do on the photo. The seed pods on the plant have a husk around them which you have to gently rub off/remove one by one!
This is the "before" photo of a seed pod.


This is the "after" photo


I did all this while the pods were still on the plant. About eight hours later I had enough to make the wreath from. When cutting the pods off the plant, try to leave as long a stem as possible on the pod so you can stick it deeper in the base.
This is the type of base I used. It has a plastic back


Then I spent countless more hours sticking the pods in the base. Try to pack the pods tightly next to each other for the best result to completely cover the base.
If you like the idea but don't have enough honesty/ silver dollars you can combine it with eucalyptus or other plants which dry well.
If you like the idea but have no honesty/silver dollars you can sow them yourself but you will have to be very patient because it's a biennial plant so you will have to wait two years for the flowers and seedpods
I hung my wreath on the wall but you could also lay it flat on a surface and place a candle in a glass storm lantern in the hole in the middel. Don't use a candle without "protection". Dried plants are very flamible and I wouldn't want your house to burn down!



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten